The ‘Imaging in Maternal-Fetal Medicine Training Course’ responds to the obstetricians and imaging specialists need for advanced training in diagnostic imaging. The training consists of a theoretical-practical part and a face-to-face week in Barcelona.
The theoretical-practical part includes an online training through specific modules to acquire basic and advanced knowledge, as well as different practical tasks such as discussing clinical cases and submitting images to validate the acquisition of the needed skills. This part is supported by an interactive platform consisting of discussion forums and Masterclasses taught by experts in the field.
The second part of this Course consists in a face-to-face week in Barcelona. During this week there will be Meet-the-Professor sessions, workshops and clinical cases discussions. (See more details in the academic guide).
Specialists in Obstetrics and Gynecology or in Imaging who want to receive a high-level training in diagnostic imaging in Maternal-Fetal Medicine to capacitate them for their daily practice but have a limited time for such training.
High-level theoretical-practical training in imaging applied to maternal-fetal medicine.
Online theoretical modules and evaluation tests
The teaching program of the Imaging in Maternal-Fetal Medicine Training Course includes 5 theoretical modules that fully cover practical diagnostic imaging in fetal medicine with an advanced training through theoretical classes and an interactive platform.
Each module contains videos with theoretical content that can be seen online. These modules have a determined duration and will be carried out consecutively. Whenever a module is completed, there will be an evaluation test by means of multiple-choice questions that can include images and videos, with specific deadlines of completion.
The Masterclasses are interactive sessions with the professors that will be scheduled in the form of live online webinars, in which the students will be able to ask their questions to the experts, with the objective of solving any doubts that may have remained. These sessions will be held before the end of the online exam period of each module and they will be coordinated by a moderator to ensure that they run smoothly.
All the modules include a practical part that consists of obtaining and submitting several ultrasound images that must meet the criteria explained in the theoretical classes. The images will be assessed and scored by the tutors of the course; the students will receive a personalized feedback that will allow them to detect possible pitfalls in order to improve their clinical skills. The objective of this part is to provide decision making and problem-solving tools in ultrasound scanning that are essential in the doctor’s daily clinical practice.
Clinic cases resolution
A forum will be created for each module using the Moodle platform. The students will be given access once the module is open. It will constitute the place to share questions and doubts regarding the studied topics. The directors of the module will propose clinical cases to generate a debate between the students.
The course includes a one-week period in Barcelona, that consists in:
- Meet-the-Professor sessions, in which the students will be able to discuss in person the most relevant aspects of each module with expert professors in that specific area of knowledge.
- Practical workshops on invasive procedures, with the use of simulators and guidance from experts in these procedures.
- Clinical cases sessions, in groups of 10-12 participants, where some examples of real clinical cases will be discussed to put the knowledge acquired in the different modules into practice. Participants will be asked to present their own clinical cases and they will be discussed within the group with the supervision of an expert.
Research project (Only in case of opting for the University Expert degree)
The students that wish to have the University Expert degree should elaborate a final research project that will be evaluated by the expert committee. There are two modalities to choose from on the type of the final project:
- Systematic review of the literature on a current subject related to the content of the course.
- Original research in the student’s own setting.
The topic of the final project must be proposed by each student. The proposals must be sent to the coordinator team before February 15, 2021 in order to be assessed by the scientific committee, which will evaluate their suitability. The scientific committee will establish the definitive topic for each student’s project and assign a tutor to guide the student during the project’s development.It is necessary to pass the final work assessment (the passing score is 70) to obtain the university degree.
From January 4, 2021 to September 30, 2021.
Fetal I+D Education Barcelona
- Dr. Eduard Gratacós
- Dr. Francesc Figueras
The presential part will take place in Barcelona.
Registration fees and payment
With the Fetal I+D Education Barcelona certificate plus the University Expert degree of the Institute of Continuous Education (IL3), University of Barcelona: 5900€
With the university degree
- Once the application is accepted, a payment of 1550 € must be made before September 20, 2020 to confirm the registration. This amount will not be refunded in case of cancellation.
- The second payment of 1,100 € will be made before October 30, 2020.
- The third payment of 3,250 € must be made before November 30, 2020. After November 15, 2020, this payment will not be refundable, except for major causes that must be justified with the corresponding documentation.
Preregistration and selection criteria
The number of places is limited. To apply, it is necessary to fill out the preregistration form within the established period. The form will be available from July 2 to September 10, 2020. Applications submitted after the deadline will not be accepted.
* To be a medical doctor.
* To fill in the form in the Register section with the requested information, your CV and a motivation letter.
The receipt of your application will be confirmed within a maximum of one week from the date of submission.
Note that incomplete applications will not be considered.
- The geographical area, the intention is to represent the maximum number of countries.
- The motivation letter.
- The CV, previous experience in Fetal Medicine and the ability to obtain the requested images for the practicums included in the program are valued.
From September 1, 2020, selected applicants will receive an email indicating that they have been accepted with the necessary information to start the registration process.
- We recommend that you read previously the information available on our website in the section “to take into account before preregistration”.
- Applicants not admitted will receive an email indicating that their application has not been accepted.
Preregistration requires a commitment to
- Accomplish the planned educational activities to pass the course, including the evaluations and the submission of images and clinical cases in each module within the established deadlines (including a recovery period). Thus, we request that you don’t submit your preregistration application if you are not sure that you can accomplish the course requirements, either because of not being able to attend the presential part, or meet the deadlines for the submission of images, exams, payments, etc.
In the case of abandoning the course, the applicant must present a letter to the course coordinator, requesting the cancellation of his/her registration. The registration fee will not be refunded.
- A diploma that certifies the completion of "Imaging in Maternal-Fetal Medicine Training Course" will be issued by Maternal Fetal Medicine Barcelona with a qualification certificate. To obtain the course certificate, it is essential to pass all the theoretical and the practical parts of each module.
- The course is accredited by the University of Barcelona. Interested participants who have chosen this option upon registration, will also be awarded a "University expert in imaging in Maternal-Fetal Medicine" specific degree* with 20 ECTS issued by the Institute of Continuous Education (IL3), University of Barcelona*. To obtain this diploma, it is essential to pass all the theoretical and the practical parts of each module, and the final research project.
*What is a university own degree?
University specific degree courses from the University of Barcelona are intended for the specialization and the higher education of practicing professionals.
The specific university degrees are specialized studies with different denominations (master, postgraduate, expert, etc.) and do not require the validation of institutions such as ANECA. They are designed to respond in an agile way to the needs posed by the labor market and the society, so they aim to achieve objectives like:
- Providing specialized training with immediate professional application.
- Updating the professionals’ knowledge to promote the training related to professional practice.
- Establishing a connection between the academic activity and the social reality (this objective is endorsed by the organization of these degrees through agreements between public institutions and private companies).
A university specific degree has the same validity inside and outside of Spain, since it is a curricular degree of non-regulated studies approved by the councils of the universities, and protected by the Organic Law of Universities, which accredits the student's continuous education
To take into account before preregistration in case of applying for the University Degree Certificate
- In order to validate a degree certificate awarded by a university or center of higher education abroad, it is necessary to carry out specific procedures to verify the existence of the institution that issued the degree and the studies that have been completed, with the legalization of foreign documents.
- Information on the legalization procedure should be obtained from the university at which the course of study was completed, consular services in the country of issue, or the competent authority in each case. For more information also access the webpage of University of Barcelona: http://www.ub.edu/acad/en/admission/international/postgraduate.htm
- This procedure should only be carried out by applicants who have already been selected for the course and wish to obtain, in addition to our certificate, a diploma from the University of Barcelona.